The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says 505,906 Nigerians have participated in its pre-registration for the Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) exercise within five days.

The Chairman of INEC, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, disclosed this on Friday in Abuja during a roadshow to flag off the 2025 CVR exercise.

Yakubu, represented by National Commissioner, May Agbamuche-Mbu, said the turnout reflected Nigerians’ belief in democracy and INEC’s efforts to strengthen the electoral process.

He said the CVR, which commenced with online pre-registration on Aug. 18, marked a significant step toward delivering credible elections.

“Starting from Aug. 25, our Local Government Area and state offices will be open for in-person registration. This will allow those who pre-registered online and those registering afresh to complete the process by capturing their fingerprints and photographs,” Yakubu said.

He expressed satisfaction with citizens’ response, noting that as of midnight of Aug. 22, over half a million Nigerians had already pre-registered.

“This is a testament that Nigerians believe in our democracy and the commission’s effort to further strengthen the electoral process,” he added.

Yakubu urged eligible citizens, especially those 18 years and above, to seize the opportunity to register, update, or transfer their voter records.

He stressed that the Permanent Voter Card (PVC) remained the key to making citizens’ voices heard during elections.

The INEC boss said the CVR would run across 811 centers nationwide, including the 774 local government offices and state offices of INEC, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Mondays to Fridays.

He encouraged Nigerians to use the INEC portal at www.cvr.inecnigeria.org for pre-registration, PVC status checks, and locating registration centers.

“Requests for transfer, replacement of lost or damaged PVCs, and correction of information can also be done via our online portal. Our staff are committed to ensuring accessibility for all, including vulnerable groups,” he said.

Yakubu also called on political parties, civil society groups, the media, and stakeholders to support INEC in raising awareness about the exercise.

The Director of Voter Education and Publicity, Mrs Victoria Eta-Messi, said the commission was fully prepared for the in-person registration phase beginning Aug. 25.

“Our offices nationwide are ready. We deliberately left one week between pre-registration and in-person registration to finalise preparations. From Aug. 25, people will be attended to in all our offices nationwide,” she said.

Eta-Messi warned against double registration, describing it as an electoral offence with consequences. She also cautioned underage persons not to attempt registration until they attain 18 years.

She explained that the CVR would be conducted in three phases, with the first running until Dec. 10, before resuming in January 2026 and continuing until Aug. 30, 2026.

The roadshow, which began at INEC’s national headquarters in Maitama, made stopovers at Wuse and Wuse Market, with staff and NYSC volunteers participating.

(NAN)

Shares:
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *