The Edo State Parole Board has reviewed 13 parole applications from inmates of the Medium Security Custodial Centre, Benin.
The Public Relations Officer of the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS), Mr. Aminu Suleman, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday.
He explained that five of the 13 inmates had been shortlisted for direct interviews to determine their eligibility for early release.
According to him, the hearing—chaired by retired Justice Alero Edodo-Eruaga—was concluded after an initial session held last week.
Suleman said the board’s review focused on inmates’ conduct, productivity while in custody, evidence of rehabilitation, and concrete reintegration plans.
Quoting Justice Edodo-Eruaga, he said: “This process is about giving a second chance while ensuring public safety. Our responsibility is to balance justice with rehabilitation in line with the Nigerian Correctional Service Act, 2019.”
He noted that the board’s final recommendations would be forwarded to the Controller General of the NCoS, Sylvester Nwakuche, for approval.
The NCoS spokesperson stressed that parole benefits not only inmates but also strengthens public safety and contributes to nation-building.
Other members of the board include representatives of the correctional service, the Director of Public Prosecutions, the Prisoners Rehabilitation and Welfare Action (PRAWA), the Association of Psychiatrists in Nigeria, the Nigerian Psychological Association, the Association of Medical Social Workers, and the Edo Civil Society Organisation (EdoCSO).
(NAN)